49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

is anyone using the ipod touch or iphone with the geocaching app from groundspeak?
i want to know how large the files are. i'm guessing they are being picked up like a PQ.

seldom|seen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do, but I have yet to download any PQ's to the phone. I've only used the "search for nearest caches" function.

zuma
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have seen Da Bloodhound use his, and it looks cool, and words reasonably quickly. The accuracy is not as good as a handheld gps though. The screen gives you a dot of where you are, and a dot of where the cache is, and you move in a way to bring the dots together.

zuma

All posts are the opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the WGA Board of Directors. 
RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I too have only used the search for nearest, it actually worked the best in Plover!?!? Of all the places I've been with it, including standing outside the shedd aquarium in chicago and could NOT get any data connection nor gps coords..talk about frustrating because I knew i was less than 300 feet from a hide!

Just Friday or Saturday I got beeped for a upgrade to the app, 2.0 according to the screen, no idea what I had before that. It loads much faster now, the searching is still dependent on connection speeds though.

The builtin GPS works..ok..my Garmin 60cx is much closer. Mostly have used the iphone to get the latest logs.

The Field Note feature is nice but it would be better if it logged it right away vs having to go approve each one once you are back to a computer(or surfing on the phone).

teamhandstand
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use my girlfriend's iphone at times when i didn't plan on caching and didnt punch in any cords in my ancient garmin etrex. it is nice with the geocaching application from geocaching.com because you can look up pretty much anything on the cache page, but like zuma said, the accuracy isnt all the best.. and sometimes it goes nuts on me and says im miles away, when i know im within a few feet.. i would have to close out of it and reload it.

also, if you are getting closer to the cache, sometimes it closes out by itself because you havent touched the screen and you have to wait for it to load up the application again.. that can be a pain, but it's nice to have on the days that i dont plan on caching and realize that i have a few minutes to search for nearby caches.

djwini
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'm looking at the ipod touch, so i don't think the actual geocaching feature will work. (no 3g connection)
how does it work for looking up the cache information? i'm using a palm pilot and cachemate to get my cache info now, but the palm is dying.

seldom|seen
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Then I guess I have been at a serious disadvantage for years! That battery-sucker H20 unit I had was off by an average of 50 feet when I put it up against my iPhone. And if you guys are telling me that my iPhone is not accurate... wholly crap! No wonder my cords are not the best... and, no wonder I have had to work twice as hard, at night, with an LED flashlight to hold second place LCG position!

I suppose I have a better developed geosense because of it though. Although I couldn't find a micro on a bus booth today!

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

seldom|seen wrote:
Then I guess I have been at a serious disadvantage for years! That battery-sucker H20 unit I had was off by an average of 50 feet when I put it up against my iPhone. And if you guys are telling me that my iPhone is not accurate... wholly crap! No wonder my cords are not the best... and, no wonder I have had to work twice as hard, at night, with an LED flashlight to hold second place LCG position!

I suppose I have a better developed geosense because of it though. Although I couldn't find a micro on a bus booth today!

You questioned your H20 ever since I've known you, the iphone should be way more accurate than what you told me about your H20. I guess I could've qualified it a bit better, when I've made a conscience effort to look, my iphone was 12-15 feet further away than my garmin. Generally speaking it is as accurate as my old etrex legend which isn't really all that bad.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

djwini wrote:
i'm looking at the ipod touch, so i don't think the actual geocaching feature will work. (no 3g connection)
how does it work for looking up the cache information? i'm using a palm pilot and cachemate to get my cache info now, but the palm is dying.

Well, it could if you have wifi and know the zipcode, it will do a search and retain some of that info until you do a new search.

Anyone feel free to jump in if I'm wrong on that but that seems to be what happens on my iphone.

The only other geo-app I have is iGCT - neat little app to calc waypoints and stuff.

Cachelovskys
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use my iPhone for Geocaching. What is nice about the new version 2.0 of the Geocaching app is that you can save information about a cache to your phone, and get at it even if you are offline or can't get a signal or don't want to wait for the EDGE network to kick in.

I don't use my phone to take me to a cache, I just use it for the cache information.

Does anyone know when Green Bay and the Valley are going to get 3G...it is LONG overdue!

Cachelovskys
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

djwini wrote:
i'm using a palm pilot and cachemate to get my cache info now, but the palm is dying.

I used to use an old Palm and Cachemate, but my Palm died as well. The iPhone makes it nice and easy, no need to run a PQ or sync to the Palm, it is all right there. Get near a cache and just use the "Nearby Cache" feature.

Captain and Mate
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

djwini wrote:

We went from a Palm and Cachemate to a Touch with an app called Geosphere, which works great. We also have the Groundspeak app and prefer Geosphere. It seems easier to use and we like how the features are organized. It is a big improvement over Cachemate. We also pair it up with a gadget by Magellan called a Toughcase. The iPod goes inside and the Toughcase adds a gps function to the app. We've found quite a few caches with it and found the accuracy to be pretty good. It runs off a rechargable battery, though, and our only criticism is that the battery life is not as good as we'd like. We always have another GPSr with us as a backup. All in all, it works pretty well for the $99 the Toughcase cost.

Matter23
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
We also pair it up with a gadget by Magellan called a Toughcase.

How close does a Toughcase get you? Does it charge up like an idevice?
I use a Etrex Vista HCx and use my ipod touch as the paperless part of it. I have the geocaching app but I prefer iGeoknife which works great.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Matter23 wrote:
Quote:
We also pair it up with a gadget by Magellan called a Toughcase.

How close does a Toughcase get you? Does it charge up like an idevice?
I use a Etrex Vista HCx and use my ipod touch as the paperless part of it. I have the geocaching app but I prefer iGeoknife which works great.

I use the Magellan Toughcase w/ iPod (gen3) and Geosphere. It rocks when you only want to carry one device. It's just as accurate as my eTrex Legend in the field (+/- 0.002) which is fine for me. I did buy an add-on product for track maps though. This is one area where I felt a little uncomfortable in bigger areas out of my normal caching area.

The toughcase is also waterproof (great for protecting the iPod on those water based caches) and also has it's own battery which charges the iPod also. I get 5-6 hours of continual use on a fully charged toughcase / iPod.

Matter23
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I did buy an add-on product for track maps though.
What is the name of your add-on?

View next topic
View previous topic