49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
sevencards
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Today I came across something. I have been enjoying and completing some quality geocaching challenges lately, but we came across an issue. We logged because we qualified for the d/t grid completion. Today I ran a query and noticed one of our cache d/t has been changed. We found this cache in 2010 and 3 year later the d/t was modified? Opening another spot so it looks like we didnt complete the grid. I know I will go out and find another to refill the vacant spot but, what gives?

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

We had a similar issue recently. We think GS needs to address this, especially with the current surge in the popularity of challenge caches.

Lacknothing
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hear you and would have to comment that it is very frustrating. I know I have had situations with my own placed caches where people have commented that I should change the difficulty rating. I might do that in the first couple of months after placing, but after that, it would be what it is so that it does not potentially affect someone working on a D/T challenge. I do understand that a cache can look different on the D/T depending on the season (summer or winter or spring), however, I think the CO needs to take that into account when placing and decide how to rate the cache so as to not change it when transitioning from season to season...

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A D/T changes if the CO has found a reason to modify the hide, i.e changing from a regular to a micro, or moving the hide a few feet to make it more muggle proof. It isn't always the hide, but the location, that might be the reason for a cache. It can be frustrating to grid-fillers.

Todd300

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

"Grid fillers" being the key word here. I have no intentions of ever filling out a d/t grid or a calendar grid. I cache when I like or what d/t I like. If I have to wait for a certain day to fill a calendar grid or have to search for a certain d/t combo, then geocaching is no longer fun.

That's the nice thing about geocaching. Everyone does it their own way. It doesn't bother me if a CO changes the d/t rating on a cache I previously found.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not really an announcement. Moved to General

WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well, occasionally there are changes to the environment or the original container gets muggled and the D/T needs to be changed. That or the hider thought they should examine the D/T if it turned out to be harder than they originally anticipated.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

We had qualified at LEAST 11 times for the original Well Rounded Challenge in California. This kept happening, and always the reason made sense. Cache was compromised. Ratings changed. When we finally got the challenge cache, we ran the PQ to do our qualifiers and it had happened....again! I had been emailing back and forth with Kealia about this latest turn of events and he told us..."I've never had this happen to anyone so often! Log a note and try to find the last one soon!" (I'd emailed back and forth over the years about such things after we placed our version in Wisconsin). I posted my note and got three different emails from watchers, including links to qualifiers that might be on our way home. I was able to figure out one located in Nebraska staying up late into the night. We got it. We went to the nearest McDonalds, logged our find and edited our note to a find before anything else could change. I know it has happened again after that, but our date controlled finds have so far stayed the same.

We have had people grumble to us about the control date on ours, and we understand....believe me we do!...but we'll hold firm on that. When these things happen, we just look at it as an opportunity to find more fun caches to find. Good luck!

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I suspect that challenge caches are much more popular with hiders than finders. The reality is that most geocachers are VERY casual. The numbers I got from Groundspeak a few years ago was that the average member had found less than 20 caches, and the average premium member had found less than 100 caches. The medians are even lower as a few folks with lots of finds throws off the average. Most of these folks just want to go out and find a box in the woods.

The reality is that challenge caches are one of those topics that keeps coming up as "needing to be fixed". For what it is worth, I'm one of the people defending challenge caches, as I think they are popular with the community and add to the game. Just know that sending complaints to groundspeak about people changing cache statistics, names or other minor issues will tend to drive the decisions the other way. (You can complain all you want in here!) As Gwen said, often these changes are due to changes in the cache and need to be made. Most of the time, people will be making caches easier (both D and T) to attract more finders. It is going to happen. To be safe, I suggest you just find 10 or more caches at each spot, then you won't have to worry.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:

To be safe, I suggest you just find 10 or more caches at each spot, then you won't have to worry.

Ha ha, that's what happened with us. When we kept losing them, we'd get a few insurance ones. Even at that, we've fallen back to the kind of caching that we loved in the beginning, hiking all over for a box or two in the woods. Often, those have nice grid filling tendencies, anyway, which might explain why we enjoy those kind of challenges.

I agree though...you talk to Joe Cacher about things like DeLormes or Fizzy challenges and they look at you like....well, people who never heard of geocaching at all!

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, I know of at least one instance where a land manager was upset about someone placing a bunch of challenge caches on their property. Their problem was that they felt these sort of caches don't attract enough people to the area, compared to "normal" caches. Of course, they really weren't paying that kind of attention. Someone in the area complained when there was no more room for THEIR cache. The CO managed to negotiate with the land manager and keep half of the challenges from being archived.

View next topic
View previous topic