49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
The Lil Otter
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I once was in your situation.. (I became the first elected female in the first election of this Board)

It always bothered me about us hiding caches in State parks without permissions.. but it was the "norm" back then.. I spent countless hours and became the first geocacher to have permission from a Wisconsin State Park to place a container...

What are your hopes to be remembered for in this sport/game in and out of this Office?

What I'm trying to get at is.. are you willing to stick your neck out to improve this sport even if it's not the "norm"?

~The Lil Otter

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

first I would like to thank you Lorrie for your question, it is great to know you are still out there having an interest in what is going on with the WGA.

to address your question, I would like to preface it with the idea that things have greatly changed from the 'old days' as I am sure you are aware. Permission for caches has gone from being rarely seeked as a near requirement for publication due to the increased knowledge of geocaching and the general state of the nation as security and privacy have become high priority.

As the WGA continues promoting geocaching, keep lines of communication open between cachers and Government agencies needs to be nurtured and that takes the effort of the BOD to find ways in which to encourage these agencies to allow placements, educate their personnel about caching, and to educate others about the rules of placements to avoid conflict. the idea of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind in regards to placing caches.

In order to do this education, it will cause some of us to come out of the safety of our box and put ourselves out there. Too often just sitting back is the "norm" and getting involved is "sticking your neck out".
I would strive to do that more than I have in the past.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
CommanderUSN
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lil Otter...how good to hear from you. Hope you get out to an event or to so we can see you again too.

I have already "stuck my neck out" as lab rat puts it with getting the requirements to place a cache in Madison area parks removed. There still are a few places in Madison...that are mentioned in the restrictions portion of this webpage...that ARE off limits but for good reasons. My working with the City Park officials gave me confidence to work with other officials to get onerous restrictions removed or modified.

If I am remembered for getting that done alone I will be pleased. As a member of the BOD and with a bit more time as I plan to fully retire by the end of Summer, I hope to take on Dane, Brown and other counties that have special use fees to place caches in their parks. I have already paid to be using the parks through my real estate taxes and the additional hoops that need to be jumped through should be looked at to be seriously modified and I hope to do that.

Thanks for the question and I hope to see you out on the trails again.

The Commander

If you don\'t stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

Disclaimer: My Posts are not the opinion or policy of the entire BOD but are solely my opinion! 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sweetlife-Val
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi The Little Otter, It is nice to see you here in the forums and having a interest in Geocaching still.
To answer your question, I would like to show that Geocaching is not just for the physically fit. I am handicapped and most always use a walker but have bad days where I am confined to a wheelchair. Geocaching is just not a sport for the athletic type of people. To me that a cache does not have to be a rating of 5/5 to be a memorable cache. It is all about where a cache brings you and the scenic area and the nature that surrounds you. My favorite type of caches are waterfall caches, fire tower caches and The official Spirit Quest caches/cemetery caches.
I would like to be remembered by showing that handicapped people can enjoy the sport of Geocaching, and and still be able to get out in the community. Did I ever mention that I love Geocaching!

CommanderUSN
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...and for new cachers out there, there is a website called 'handicaching.com' where the terrain difficulty can be posted with handicapped people in mind. Some of my veteran friends don't cache much but appreciate knowing what they are getting into.

The Commander.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

View next topic
View previous topic