49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
SBartl9049
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello from Appleton,

My name is Sarah and I'm new to geocaching and new to the WGA! I've only been caching for about a month. I've already met a few fellow cachers from the area. Hope to place a few caches of my own after I have a few more finds under my belt!

I haven't purchased a GPS yet (using my phone) and was wondering if there are any suggestions on what device I should get?

It's nice to meet everyone here and any help for this newbie would be appreciated! Very Happy

Thanks,

Sarah
SBartl9049

STEMmom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Sarah,
Welcome to the fun err addiction. I was in you position in early February. You should have come out to the cache bash in West Bend this weekend. There were reps from both Garmin on Megellan. If there is an REI near you I think they let you try them out and I know they have FREE classes on picking a GPS. I ended up choosing a Garmin Dakota 20. Money was a bit tight so I could not get the "fancy" models at the time. It has worked very well for me. If you meet other cachers asked to try theirs out if you can.
Hope to see you on the trail or the next Cache Bash (Aug 9-10,

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome! Garmin is one of the big players in the game, delorme has a couple of nice units as well.

I personally own a Garmin 60cx, however since the advent of the geocaching app I've not used it as much any more. Being able to download a pq with all the pertinent data right in the phone is significantly more than the 60 series can hold.

That being said, I still think my 60 series is much more accurate than my phone and I would not leave the trail without it.

--Mike

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello from your neighbor to the south (Menasha),

Welcome to geocaching and the WGA! These forums are great for answering questions, seeing upcoming events, and many other topics.

I wouldn't be much help in recommending a unit, but there have been several informative threads over the years...maybe one of our more tech-savvy members can suggest how to search for them. Or they can relate their own accounts of good selection. I do know that the popular opinion is that if placing a cache, it is better to do so with a GPSr and not a phone, because the coordinates will tend to be more consistently accurate.

Keep an eye out for events/meet & greets in the Green Bay/Fox Valley/Oshkosh area. There are several regular ones every year, and often others too.

See you around!

amita17
Debby

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

What amita17 said, except the Menasha part. We're another 20 miles south.

WELCOME! Very Happy

Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you go to Gander Mountain, ask for Jesse (merc_inc) he'll be very helpful with helping you pick or try out a new GPS.

(BTW, Garmin Oregon is my fav for about $299) I own a Oregon which gives you the paperless caching option much like your phone.

I live in Neenah so feel free to contact me in you'd like.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
frmr
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just got done doing downloads for the West Bend cache bash and I saw a lot of Magellan Explorist GC coming throught. Nice little unit built specificly caching and they are going for about $125. Pricing is not bad for just starting. It is a lot easier to spend $125 for a Megellan, then it is to spend 3 or 4 or 500 for a Garmin unit.

At this time I use a Garmin Colorado 300, but have been thinking about switching to the Magellan Explorist series.

Curly Girls
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Geocaching!

I am from Greenville/Appleton area. I would be more than happy to answer any of your questions or even meet up some time. I have a daughter who caches with me sometimes, she is 10 years old - she is the other part of Curly Girls.

I have an event ready to publish for Friday, September 21st from 7:30-9am if you can make it.

Garmin is the way to go, if you are looking for a GPS. I have 3 of them....

Lisa

Muggle B
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HI Sarah

Im also from Appleton. Welcome to the WGA and geocaching.

as for the GPS, don't know, don't use one. Look for a couple of my caches here in the valley, you don't really need a GPS for any of them.

cache on, maybe see you on the trail sometime
Muggle B

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome aboard Sarah. I like your avatar and I just smiled as I thought about how many times I known exactly where I was and it made me nervous. Laughing (i.e. The cache "Wet Maze" comes to mind).

Anyhow - I'm a Garmin fan and have been using my < $200 Etrex Legend for 3+ years now and don't see any need to change. Garmin has updated the Etrex line and for ~ $200 you can still get a very good GPS. I use my iPod Touch for paperless caching, but most major GPS units now include this. You also have a smartphone which should be able to be used for this (depending on model / platform).

My favorites are puzzle caches, but unfortunately there aren't enough of them in the Fox Valley area to keep me busy.

SBartl9049
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, everyone! Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I see the consensus from most for a GPS is the Garmin. Has anyone tried the Magellans? I was mostly looking at the eXplorist 110 or 510. I know Garmin has good units (have one in my car), but they seemed a little pricey for there handheld units. Thank you for all the suggestions, I will continue to research and find one that will work for me!

And for those of you in the Fox Cities area, would it be alright if I contacted you privately about placing caches in the area?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and hope to bump into those of you in the area while caching around! Smile

WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

CodeJunkie wrote:
Welcome aboard Sarah. I like your avatar and I just smiled as I thought about how many times I known exactly where I was and it made me nervous. Laughing (i.e. The cache "Wet Maze" comes to mind).

Anyhow - I'm a Garmin fan and have been using my < $200 Etrex Legend for 3+ years now and don't see any need to change. Garmin has updated the Etrex line and for ~ $200 you can still get a very good GPS. I use my iPod Touch for paperless caching, but most major GPS units now include this. You also have a smartphone which should be able to be used for this (depending on model / platform).

My favorites are puzzle caches, but unfortunately there aren't enough of them in the Fox Valley area to keep me busy.

CJ, you are so full of Hooey. There's lots of "?", you've just done them all.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
CJ, you are so full of Hooey. There's lots of "?", you've just done them all.

Hooey! Now there's an expression you don't hear much of any more. But welcome Sarah...you'll get a lot of hooey in these forums from time to time. And lots of useful info too. I have a Garmin GPSmap 62s and love it. It's a little pricier but has the paperless caching option and I can download my finds right to my computer with it. Hope you get up to my area some time Bartrod

WStemple
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

First, Welcome to this crazy sport and even crazier gang of very helpful clowns. Laughing

I currently am using a Delorme PN-60 and love it. I used to use a Garmin, but went to this for the paperless caching and metter map options. I just started using c:geo, but not for finding the cache. More for instant information and logging caches on the go. At Cache Ba$h, I logged all my cache in the field with it. Gave me more time to chat and such at night.

Curly Girls
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Sarah,

You can private message me here or through Geocaching if you like. I'd be happy to help.

I use my iPod touch for paperless caching as well, so you don't necessarily have to buy an expensive GPS unit. Plenty of options out there. Buy what fits for you and when you are ready, you can upgrade. That is how we did it.

Good luck!
Lisa

View next topic
View previous topic