49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
GrannyGoesAlong
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

HELP or SUGGESTIONS!
Encountered a similar problem that Trekkin and Birding posted previously regarding loading caches on their Oregon 300:
When I tried to load caches/waypoints to my (less than 2-month old) Map62 from GSAK file and then try to turn on the device, it loads to 78% and then abruptly shuts down the unit.

I emailed Garmin... here's part of their response:

When did this issue start happening? GSAK is a third party company and we do not support our devices working with any products other than Garmin products. What I suggest is to try opencaching.com for your geocaches.

What you can try on your device is a master reset. There could be corrupt data causing this issue and the master reset will clear that corruption.

SOOO... before I try a master reset... any suggestions???

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have the same model and have not had any problems...but I do not use GSAK. It's surprising that they suggested you use Opencaching and I'm disappointed that GSAK might cause problems with their units as it is very commonly used and Garmin is well aware of this.

Seems like Garmin is slipping a bit in the credibility department as more and more often I'm hearing about problems with the units and less and less about how great their service is.

bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I have the 62s and haven't had that problem, but did have another trying to download a cache from the Geocaching.com cache page. It couldn't find the plug-in even though it was downloaded. Garmin referred me to Groundspeak cuz it was their plug-in...then Groundspeak referred me back to Garmin cuz they created the plug-in for Groundspeak. I really got the run-around. The impression that I got from the Groundspeak forums was that Garmin is definitely trying to push their own caching website. As I was about to contact Garmin again, the issue suddenly and inexplicably resolved itself. It didn't work for weeks...then it did! Just like that without any action being taken.
I did get a warning from a cacher on the Groundspeak forums to NOT try any updates on my unit from Garmin...his unit went berserk when he did. With that in mind, good luck. Try a different PQ and rerun it...maybe it was a corruption on the PQ from Groundspeak, maybe GSAK corrupted the file...but try it again. Good luck.

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

bartrod wrote:

I did get a warning from a cacher on the Groundspeak forums to NOT try any updates on my unit from Garmin...his unit went berserk when he did.

Good advise...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I bricked two different Oregon's by updating the software....

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

With any update, I wait about a month before loading it, read all the forums about the update first and see if there was any problems with it first

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use GSAK on my 62 almost exclusively, and haven't had any issues. Odds are there is a cache with a character in the description (or name) that the 62 doesn't like. The easiest way is to find it is to load a small number of caches at a time (filter by distance), narrowing down the list to the problem cache. Then, you can either ignore it or ask the CO to fix it. Before you go through all that trouble, however, there is also a possibility that you are overflowing the memory. The 62 does not have the capacity to expand memory with an SD card, so if you have a lot of maps and also are loading a lot of cache detail (read a large number of logs), you may just be overloading the thing. To test this, try loading the database with no logs. If it works, either there is a problem with a specific log (unlikely) or you are just overloading the machine. Set the limit to 3 or 4 logs to fix this. You can always look up more logs on your phone, unless you are in the middle of nowhere.

GrannyGoesAlong
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try loading a small PQ to see if that corrects issue.

BTW... I went ahead and went through Garmin's instructions to perform a master reset. HA! When the question comes up in screen "Do you really want to erase all user data?"... I was unable to arrow up to the Yes field and the device shut down. Tried the steps 3 times! I just emailed Garmin again... and told them this issue has never happened in the 4 years with my other two Garmins.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

GrannyGoesAlong wrote:
...GSAK is a third party company and we do not support our devices working with any products other than Garmin products. What I suggest is to try opencaching.com for your geocaches.

WOW!
GSAK is the defacto standard for working with cache listings offline, and Garmin wants to ignore that?
As for opencaching.com (owned by Garmin), tell them you already found the five caches they have listed...
Geocaching (and by extension, Geocaching.com) has made Garmin a boatload of money in the past ten years. I'm really glad that I don't have to deal with them.

Back on topic, I think DeeJay's answer is your best bet. Some funky geocache names really mess with the website software. I keep trying to talk DeeJay into just archiving them. Twisted Evil

WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have found problems with the following characters in cache titles

( ) " > and <

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:
Before you go through all that trouble, however, there is also a possibility that you are overflowing the memory.

Deejay has a good point. Your unit will only hold so many caches. If you haven't emptied them out of its memory, it might explain why it's doing what it is. Marc 54140 brought this to my attention shortly after I bought mine...he also had one. If you don't know how to empty all the old PQ's/caches out of your unit, PM me and I'll walk you through it. Bartrod

Averith
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Of course you could just get a Magellan. Laughing (Sorry couldn't resist)

Bushwhacking Unnecessarily Since 2006!! 
sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Do not know if this will help, but I have found lots of useful info about our oregon from here

http://garmingpsmap.wikispaces.com/

raslas
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This cache (http://coord.info/GC3B219) $$$(%*@/(!@))%$ causes problems for me when I try to load my Nuvi from GSAK. I had to edit the cache name and get rid of the symbols at the beginning of the name. Unfortunately everytime I download a new pq I have to do this. Now I have locked it in GSAK so when I download a new pq it shouldn't change the name back. The info for this cache won't be up to date but that is better than having to edit the cache name every time.

GrannyGoesAlong
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Averith... I had contemplated going with a Magellan prior to buying the MAP62... but didn't.

I'm calling Garmin support on Monday to followup my email on Friday after several failed attempts to perform a master reset.

Looking back a bit from last weekend I remember that twice the device failed to bring up the description for at least two caches in the Green Bay area... it basically froze the unit and I took out the batteries to reboot.

As for too much data... I have always eliminated the previous cache file before loading a new one.

GrannyGoesAlong
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Update... Garmin responded via email(on today...Sunday) to follow a procedure for non-prompted master reset. So much fun holding 3 buttons down along with the power switch... a bit tricky for me with arthritic hand... but I finally got the unit powered on. Now to set up menu, etc the way I had it.

YIPEE... back on the trails.

View next topic
View previous topic