49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know the official suggestions thread would eventually be made...but if I'm anything it's impulsive.

What do you think they could do better next year?

Lostby7
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure this has been discussed at length by the committee but I'd love to see the event caches released the day prior to the event...not just a few hours before midnight the day before it starts.

...For me nothing says fun like scrambling to create a route to follow on the day of the event. Let's face it this year there were more new caches than ever and they are getting so far from event GZ. Folks should get ample time to create an attack plan. For me following a doable route is a big part of the enjoyment. If I'm running wild out there without a plan I feel stressed out and very disorganized....and I end up wasting both time and gas...and yes I do realize they are hoping to get us to fill up during our visit (the pessimist in me assumes that is why the caches are so far from GZ in the first place...but then I have always had a bit of a hankering for conspiracy theories).

Seriously, who caress if folks search these out the day before? There are no FTF prizes and without a stamp book folks will need to re-find the caches again in order to get them to count for the event.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I can answer that question in 3 words: PERMANENT WATERTIGHT CONTAINERS.

I would also lobby for releasing caches the Monday before the event. Not only does this give people time to download queries and plan routes, but a few souls will head out to find the caches early, which will serve to test the accuracy of the coordinates and uncover other problems which might arise when caches are placed in advance.

JBase
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:
I can answer that question in 3 words: PERMANENT WATERTIGHT CONTAINERS.

I would also lobby for releasing caches the Monday before the event. Not only does this give people time to download queries and plan routes, but a few souls will head out to find the caches early, which will serve to test the accuracy of the coordinates and uncover other problems which might arise when caches are placed in advance.

/agree - The plastic baggie in the tree was my favorite. More like a water collector than protector... Crying or Very sad

lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not exactly for the Cache Bash, but the post bash party. Did Players know we were going to be there on Saturday night?

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It's strange, but, I didn't expect to get 5 FTFs on the way to WB, between 10 and noon on Friday. I thought other cachers would be out there much earlier.
An earlier release of caches might cut down the geotrails, too, with a longer recovery time for the flora.
If the number of attendees keeps growing, a site shift might be in order, just to keep the hides closer. Or some Archiving will be the solution.

Keep the ideas flowing! I'd hate to see the WBCB Committee sitting there with nothing to say or do! wink

The Players issue might need it's own thread, or a post to the CO of the Event.

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FOOD AT THE VENUE!!!

I understand that the chamber wants us to visit the area restaurants that are part of the chamber, but there needs to be something of nutritional value available at the park.

MWGB has food vendors similar to what you would find at a county fair come directly to the venue, when we were done caching, if we knew there was nothing to eat at the park, we would have stopped and grabbed something before we headed back.

Mainly on Saturday during the day would be the best time for the food at the park.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Team_Sandman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I would say More venders selling caching related items. I know we were looking for stickers patches ect. The firemonkeys have neat things but it was the same as last year. The LNT booth was great and so was the Geo-mate JR, and the Magellan booth

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

sweetlife wrote:
FOOD AT THE VENUE!!!

I understand that the chamber wants us to visit the area restaurants that are part of the chamber, but there needs to be something of nutritional value available at the park.

MWGB has food vendors similar to what you would find at a county fair come directly to the venue, when we were done caching, if we knew there was nothing to eat at the park, we would have stopped and grabbed something before we headed back.

Mainly on Saturday during the day would be the best time for the food at the park.

You have to remember that this event is not put on by geocachers, it is put on by the chamber and it's member merchants. It is their money that foots the bill to put it on. The continuation of the event is dependant on the results that they see from the influx of visitors so I wouldn't count on seeing any food at the event.

AuntieNae
WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Even if Cousins could have been there at lunch time with some basic subs .. sell until gone ..

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding food: (yes I read above posts)
Suggest to chamber members ie: Starbucks, Subway, Cousins, etc to have mobile booths to sell food. They do that in my little community and raise money for costs plus donation back to the chamber.
Would the chamber endorse or encourage Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts/4 H/ Future Farmers/non-profits to have a booth/tent to sell coffee or baked goods? If not, a roadside stand outside the park would be a "gold-mine." Anyone notice the # of nearby rummage sales??

Batteries.....newbie cachers and experienced cachers all have that momentary lapse of having fresh batteries. Sat am was asked 3-4x if we had/sold batteries. Bug Spray...Sunscreen. Maybe Walgreens and the Chamber could work out an assignment agreement, mark up the product $0.25, and some profit for the Chamber.

goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Team Deejay wrote:
I can answer that question in 3 words: PERMANENT WATERTIGHT CONTAINERS. .

Amen to that. I'm not gonna point out any one hider because I do appreciate their efforts, but some of the containers were just ridiculous as far as weather proofing goes. I thought these were gonna be permanent hides. If so, they never even made it past this weekend. Not good. Rite in rain paper and log books are worth their weight in gold as well. I'm glad I had a pen that can write on wet paper.

Last edited by goirish75 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total 
goirish75
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

BIG Kudos to the color maps of the cache locations given out at the event though. That was a very helpful simple item.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

goirish75 wrote:
BIG Kudos to the color maps of the cache locations given out at the event though. That was a very helpful simple item.

I wish I would have gotten one...I never saw one.

amita17
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lostby7 wrote:
goirish75 wrote:

I wish I would have gotten one...I never saw one.

Yes, it is a simple thing. I was disappointed I didn't get one, being a visual learner. I mentioned it to a cacher on the trail that they had the cache maps previous years, and was told they were at registration, you just had to pick one up. I must have been so focused on getting out there, I didn't see them. When I went back, others must also have missed them, because the lady there mentioned maybe they could go in the bags next year. Once I had the map, planning my time was much easier.

And another very minor thing, the group photo. I thought the stage was too small an area for such a big group. There were people in the back several deep that would not even be seen. Maybe several photos could be taken there, or move it to a more open area?

Anyway, my biggest problems at the event were personal (car, health...)and the rain. I think it just keeps getting better every year. Thanks to all who made it great!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

View next topic
View previous topic