49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've got a many year old mini-maglite 2AA LED (3watt I believe) love the size & weight to brightness ratio. After getting borrowed at scout camp and "lost" for several months its been "finicky" at best to turn on and keep it on. I bought the new version which has several light modes, SOS - low power- peak power and blink. I hated it, except for the money spent I wasn't overly disappointed when the same borrower lost it in the snow this winter.

SO - what's everyone using now for smaller flashlights?

LED - Multiple LED or single high watt?

Not Led?

Brand?

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use an Inova Emissive Energy flashlight. Nothin better on the planet. Made of titanium. Batteries last virtually forever, and the light it puts out is blinding for it's size. Puts my LED mini mag to shame.

INOVA

The one listed at the link above is the closest to what I have. Looks like the best one is made of stainless steel now, but the technology is still the same.

Last edited by TyeDyeSkyGuy on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total 
Curly Girls
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

We found out the LED lights do not work for the "invisible" markings sometimes used for nightcaches. Not so good for firetacks either. Learned the hard way. LEDs are nice, but I like a regular old flashlight better for caching.

TyeDyeSkyGuy
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Curly Girls wrote:
We found out the LED lights do not work for the "invisible" markings sometimes used for nightcaches. Not so good for firetacks either. Learned the hard way. LEDs are nice, but I like a regular old flashlight better for caching.

Very true, which was a deciding factor on my light. EED's work great for night caching, where LED's work, but fall short.

One Paddle Short
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ever since I purchased my first headlamp I've had very little use for a flashlight. It's just so much more user friendly to have your hands free to set up a tent, read, adjust your climbing tree stand as you're ascending, carry your bow or gun to your tree, search for a cache, paddle, and the list goes on. We have one of these for everyone in the family. Mine did have an LED go out on a two mile night hike in the Porcupine Mountains in a steady rain but I sent it back to the company and they mailed me back a brand new one.

Black Diamond Icon

Oh, and it'll easily light up a night cache reflector from 50-60 yards on the high setting. They do go on sale on occasion also.

glorkar
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

I use a Coleman XR-C single bulb LED flashlight. Picked it up from Wally World for a little over $20. This thing is bright (75 lumens.) It uses a Cree X-lamp bulb which I guess is very long lasting. It's not considered a tactical light, but has many features of one. Being over 60 lumens, it can temporarily blind a person. The lens end also has a raised bezel that could inflict damage in a defensive situation. And to think, I just bought it so I could see in the dark Smile
Review from Buzzillions.com
Review from Amazon.com

AstroD-Team
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We have the standard 2D Maglite with the focusing beam for night caching, and several red and white LED flashlights to use to poke around tree roots and the like and for use at the observatory. We're using a new demo that comes with red, blue, green, white LEDs as well as UV. It's pretty darned tough, not metal, compact, and has a swivel head so it can be used while clipped on a hat or belt. Which is important as metal flashlights in the mouth is not a good thing especially in winter!

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Streamlight 67100 2AA ProPolymer LED Alkaline Battery and a couple of Streamlight 66118 Stylus Pro Black LED Pen Flashlight They are all in the $20 range from Amazon and make the mag lite look sick. They also last along time.

Sparse Grey Hackle
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The BB and myself have quite a collection of geo-lights. Mag-lights and mini-mags but the BEST light for almost any app IMHO is the
Idea Surfire. Idea

We use the G2-LED

"The G2® LED is a compact high-output flashlight featuring a body made of tough, corrosion-proof Nitrolon® polymer and an aluminum bezel. It uses a virtually indestructible power-regulated LED and a precision micro-textured reflector to produce a smooth 120-lumen beam—six times the light of a big two-D-cell flashlight, and more than enough to temporarily blind and disorient an aggressor during a FTF by impairing his (or her) night-adapted vision. The tactically-correct pushbutton tailcap switch provides secure, ergonomic activation control: press for momentary-on, twist for constant-on."

http://www.surefire.com/

"The World's Finest Illumination Tools"

SGH & BB

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked you paid $70 for a flashlight??

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a MagLight "fan" based mostly on value ($$ vs utility) knowing that my flashlight gets lots of use. It's been dropped multiple times, rain, sleet, snow, run over, you name it and it just seems to keep going (sounds like a Timex tagline).

I use the 2 AA 3 Watt LED version and it's served me well. I've "donated" a few to friends which is OK considering they're only $20. I'd love to have something high end, but would be beside myself if I lost it. I also keep a cheapy 0.5 Watt in each car for emergencies which has come in handy in a pinch a few times already.

I also had issues with the MagLight with it cutting out and it turned out that a fresh set of batteries was the ticket. It's apparent because you'll turn it on and it goes on for 1-3 seconds and then off. Turning it on / off will keep giving you a few seconds light, but it's generally the clue that the batteries may be the issue.

Keep in mind that LED's are either ON or OFF. They're a diode which doesn't have a middle state. Standard flashlight bulbs use a filament which operates on a variety of voltage levels providing the dimming light as the batteries wear out.

RSplash40
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I emailed maglite they said try these two things if they dont work send it in!

The battery was one which I've done twice so all that's left is a eraser trick

I've had a couple of references for the streamlight both those and a few others use a lot of words makes one wonder if they aren't trying to baffle one with fancy words Wink

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I bought I new toy today while at the big sports store in Richfield. I told myself I wasn't going to and had my mind made up on a store brand with great reviews and features. Then the sales guy showed me the "newest" in the Surefire line and after much debate I coughed up the Christmas gift card and plunged in.

G2X™ Pro Dual-Output LED
15 Lumens on the low setting (45 hours / battery set)
200 Shocked Lumens on the high setting (2.5 hours / battery set)

I tried it out tonight at the land and WOW what a light. The 15 Lumens is like the normal 1/2 Watt LED lights I keep for emergencies in the car. The 200 lumen is dang near like a small spotlight and is designed to temporary blind anyone looking into it.

JBase
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious about the GX2 dual flashlight. I was thinking about buying it, but without testing in the dark, it's alot of $$ to spend to find out it doesn't do what I want.

Does it produce a straight beam of light or a washed out large beam? I want a light that is really bright that is focused over a long distance.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

JBase wrote:
I'm curious about the GX2 dual flashlight. I was thinking about buying it, but without testing in the dark, it's alot of $$ to spend to find out it doesn't do what I want.

Does it produce a straight beam of light or a washed out large beam? I want a light that is really bright that is focused over a long distance.

I had an opportunity to try it out last night actually and took a couple of my other flashlights along for comparison. It was a bit foggy last night and the GX2 on low was equivalent to my 2AA 1 watt maglight for distance, brightness, beam size. The GX2 on high amazed me. It was a fairly tight beam (it's a handheld flashlight with only a short bezel compared to much larger spotlights that hold a tighter beam). I was surprised when I saw a deer at 100+ yards and the light completely illuminated the entire deer easily. With the maglight I could see the eyes and an outline of the head only.

I was going to walk back to the car via the ambient light like I've done many other times and was surprised to find my eyes took a while to adjust from the brightness of the new flashlight. I've never had this before with the trusty old maglight. The Maglight is still a workhorse and a good value, but the Surefire has the wow factor if / when you need it.

View next topic
View previous topic