49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

When we first discovered this website, there was a decent amount of discussion on many topics here. People also would offer get-togethers, much like beccaday did today for snowshoeing this weekend.

Now, except for the drivel thread, the site seems to have become irrelevant to most. Trekkin' is on that unofficial WGA facebook group and posted a question yesterday. Lots of good discussion resulted from that. If it had been posted here, there might have been one or two responses.

I know some of the folks who are regulars on those facebook sites hang around here silently. What's going on? Please discuss in a respectful manner. Maybe that discussion can help our organization's leaders find ways to include all, or maybe it will reveal that things have changed and new directions might be in order.

bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm wondering if most of the folks that hang out here are veteran cachers that really don't have many questions about caching, problems with their gps, etc. That's why I originally started looking in the forums. And I actually found more help, in that respect, in the Groundspeak forums.

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I do think that it seems easier to reply to the FB stuff as it pops up and smacks you in the face when you open your FB page and scroll through your news feed. On the site, you have to look for stuff and in today's instant messaging, give it to me now mentality, we look for the easy fix or simple method.

maybe there are some other ideas out there to help move discussions back to the forums.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just saying hi before going over to FB. Just kidding. I do think the group of 25-50 regulars do post and respond on the topics here. It is rare for someone new though to get involved. That is evident by all of the attention that new "regular" Todsam received in the last week. I try to check in everywhere most days including WGA FB. I think it all comes down to doing whatever we all can to promote WGA membership and PARTICIPATION. I have a really good idea on how to promote this, but am waiting for the new BOD to be in place.

Lacknothing
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
PARTICIPATION. I have a really good idea on how to promote this, but am waiting for the new BOD to be in place.

I hope you get elected or we will never see the good idea!

Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

25 days until the annual BOD meeting but Mr GT isn't running.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
Todd300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Many people are on Facebook anyways, so that could be why there is more activity there.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Instant gratification, short attention span, no commitment.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The 9 Board Members use this site for 95% of their communication. We see 4 times the posts as regular members and it can be overwhelming, at times.

I think it is still a valuable asset for Event promotion. Events is the most visited link on the site, other than the TS thread.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

From time to time I post things on a FB page with a link to a WGA topic to direct traffic here. I'm not sure of this but a recent observation I've had is that cachers who only cache locally are more likely to post things on a FB site and those with a more expanded awareness of caching the entire state will frequent the WGA site.

amita17
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is only my perspective. I am not on Facebook currently due to the way one must establish a profile. I suspect at some point I will have to cave in. While I am not the most avid respondent on this site, I try to post something if the topic is pertinent to me or funny or sparks an interest. I check the site daily, sometimes more often if I happen to have the time. It is my main source of geocaching networking, for information, conversation, and education. I am very happy with the WGA website. Very Happy

WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Debby, do not feel pressured into signing up for Facebook. The world does not end for people who are not on FB. I am on FB, but you can see that I am still very active on the WGA site. Wink

This site is for ALL of Wisconsin. While we may participate in regional activities, events, and get-togethers, and chat with each other in our local FB geo-groups, this is the site where all of us from around the state can come together to experience geocaching in Wisconsin. Some other states are officially split into regions (Illinois being the one I am most aware of), but if that had been the case here, I might never have gotten to know all of you from the far reaches of Wisconsin... and it was through the WGA website and chatting with everyone that we expanded our geocaching to other parts of the state. When you know other people, even just online at first, it's fun to do their caches and go to their events.

Just think, if Wisconsin was divided into regions without any WGA... depending on how the state was split, it could be me, jar42, geolivestrong, and Labrat only. Not a bad group to be a part of, but I'm so glad we know cachers from north and south and east and west... and even from north of Highway 64... and all of this is thanks to the WGA website, not Facebook groups.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am not on facebook and hopefully never will be. I check in here for new posts about once a week or so just to see what's going on. As you can see by the number of posts, I don't generally post much unless I have something to offer.

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Uncle_Fun wrote:
I am not on facebook and hopefully never will be. I check in here for new posts about once a week or so just to see what's going on. As you can see by the number of posts, I don't generally post much unless I have something to offer.

Dave you don't need a FB account. Tracy tells us everything about you that you don't want us to know.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Trekkin and Birdin wrote:
Trekkin' is on that unofficial WGA facebook group ...

What about the official WGA facebook page?

I can see that too, how the WGA website is becoming less used as Facebook groups crop up. The fact is that when people are arranging group caching trips it seems natural to invite those that live close to that area. There are lots of small groups in different corners of the state. This way people have actually met each other and may actually get together to cache.

I'm glad that the WGA has an active Facebook page. I think this is the way that a lot of people prefer to get their information and socialize.

View next topic
View previous topic