49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
neonride93
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I recently ( July ) Trashed my Oregon 450 ( Currently for sale in the FOR SALE Forum Smile So I have gone to completely caching with the Galaxy S3 - Just thought I would share my experiences and what I do. Personally I have not had any issues - including power caching in Nevada with over 350 finds in one day. I also have Sprint for coverage and that has not been known for the best coverage Smile

With that being said I treat my phone and my caching trips like I would when I had the Oregon - I make sure I am set before I leave the house. Having the connectivity is only a bonus when I log from the field or have to access more logs.

Most important is the offline map - which can be obtained from
http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/north-america/

You can then set C:Geo to use either Google Maps or Use the map you download. Wisconsin is 44mb's so you have to download it on a computer and transfer via cable. Mine is always set to the downloaded offline maps because even when I have data connection it seems to be pretty slow ( Sprint Smile ) This worked nice when I went to Canada in August - We drove so I had downloaded the Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Ontario Maps so I could easily switch between them. I crossed over into Canada turned my data off completely and was still able to get a bunch and still had a nice Map.

Second is the PQ's - for me I keep a pretty extensive GSAK database and always download the new PQ's into GSAK and run a few filters to remove caches that have multiple DNF's or Needs Maintenance logs. You can also Download PQ's directly from Geocaching.com You can create as many lists as you want in CGEO but I usually only have one main list. I import the GPX file from GSAK. I Use Google Drive - When I export it from GSAK I put it into my Google drive folder on my desktop and then it shows up on the phone you can import the file directly from the drive app on the phone.

Third is logging. I am still experimenting with how I do it. You can save offline logs and then export them as field notes right to geocaching.com or what I have been doing is moving the caches from the main list to a "found" or "DNF" list and then when I am done I export that list as a GPX file and import them back into GSAK and use the GSAK Log feature - I did this in Neveda for the power trails. If I only found a few I will usually go the field notes way.

Are there any other Cgeo users? What experiences do you have? [i]One thing I am looking for is a better map[/i] - the mapforge maps are great for in town but I Had the USGS Tops on the Oregon - and while they are very adequate it would be nice to have a little more details out in the woods.

The only other thing I miss is the track. There are other apps you can use and to be honest I never used it much before but if I ever got lost Smile I do usually set a way point ( You have to add a way point to an existing cache ) when I am going to be wondering from the car.

The other thing is Battery - I did buy an extended battery and I keep the original battery with me when I am on all day runs - It is just something I have to be conscious of little more - plunging it back in when I get to the car and so forth but even the 14 hour days in Nevada I was never worried - got back to the hotel with 36% left.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Also just want to add that the excact same steps I use on my Nexus 7. Same set up and really the only thing it is good for is a larger screen. I dont use it as often but I usually load it up at the same time and keep it with me.

Also I just loaded 250 way marks from Waymarking.com into a GSAK database and transferred the GPX file to CGEO - they show up as a different icon so its easy to set them apart from te Geocaches.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent report. Thank you for taking the time to share. We have been running about the same set-up with the S3 c:geo and GSAK. Getting use to it now pretty much. For extra juice for long days in the field we use a Brunton power source to provide a boost when needed.
Works like the Swiss. Appreciate the tech info and the mapping information with link. Thanks much!

SGH & BB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Galaxy S3 with C:Geo as well, but I use that primarily for looking up information as my main GPS receiver is not paperless. It's a Garmin Etrex Venture HC.

I do export my GSAK database to c:Geo so I do not have to worry about slow loading times on data, especially if I'm in a spot with weak cell reception.

jar42
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Sports Track is an excellent free app. for keeping track of where you've been and has a nice map of the area that you are in.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

We're old school, no smartphone, but the information shared in this thread seems like it would be good stuff to have "pinned" for people to find easily. Just a thought.

neonride93
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would agree - but there are so many ways and apps and approaches. This is only one way to do it plus this is for Android only - Apple People would be out of luck for this walk through

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use c:geo on my Galaxy S4. It works great! I log many of my finds now right away. I was able to find and log a cache in the middle of the desert on my last trip. Traditionally, I would have to take hours upon hours to plot a trip. Now, no worries, I load what I think I need in my GPS, but I have my phone with me and if I want to check for a possible close cache, I fire up c:geo. Works slick!

View next topic
View previous topic