49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
August 2014 Northern Zone:
WSQ Gordon Cemetery

Winner -
August 2014 Northeast Zone:
Trout Haven

Winner -
August 2014 West Central Zone:
WISCONSIN DELORME CHALLENGE

Winner -
August 2014 South Central Zone:
Capitol Punishment

Winner -
August 2014 Southeast Zone:
Wisconsin Homestead - Emslie Farm

Winner -
August 2014 Series of the Month:
Classic Childrens Books

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to use my iPhone as a GPSr. I have the official geocaching application, but I want to set up a series of temporary caches and enter waypoints manually and use the phone to navigate to them. How Can I do that?

isjustus4
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'd think the easiest way to do that would be to pick an existing cache from the app, because in order to enter WPs you have to be navigating to something already. Just remember which cache page you are using for your temporaries.

From the MAP screen on the cache you select, you'll have three dots in the upper right. That will drop down a menu to add WP's. Add as many as you like. They will show up as yellow flags on the map. Tap to select navigate to them.

Also useful as dropping flags for backtrack purposes when you are way out in the woods.

Another tidbit. They will still be there until you delete them.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

isjustus4 gave an excellent description of how to navigate to temporary caches using the Groundspeak official geocaching app. If I were to use the iPhone for temporary caches I would use the Groundspeak app the same way he described.

However if you don't want to create the temp caches as extra waypoints on an existing cache, you could use the app MotionX-GPS. It more or less does the same thing and a lot more, but it's tricky to use until you're familiar with all of its rich features.

Having said that, again, if I were to use the iPhone for temporary caches I would use the Groundspeak app the same way isjustus4 described.

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

not sure if it can be done, but can you load a GPX file on a phone, could set it up in GSAK then load it in.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like the workaround using the geocaching app for this particular purpose. The objective is to teach a very young group of girl scouts about geocaching and that way is pretty complicated.

However, I searched in the app store using "waypoint" as the keyword instead of GPS, and I came up with an app simply called "waypoint."

It does exactly what I want -- one click to set a waypoint, and the interface is very friendly for kids.

So...problem solved!

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

I checked out waypoint. There's actually two apps with the same name. They get the job done but have shortcomings. Then I found one that is seemingly PERFECT!

One of the "Waypoint" apps (with a gray & white avatar) shows distances in meters and you cannot adjust the coordinates, just click to set the coordinates when you're standing in a spot you want to mark. It has a map view and a compass; no satellite or hybrid views. Coordinates are not in the WGS84 datum that geocaching.com usually uses.

The other app named "Waypoint" (light brown and white avatar) shows more promise. Again it has one click to set a coordinate when you're standing there, and has a compass view, and it can be set to meters or miles/feet. It also has a flashlight button on the screen in case it's dark and you want to enable the iPhone's light. But no map, just compass only, and like the other app you cannot manually enter coordinates; you have to be there and mark the waypoint while standing there. With both apps you can then save the multiple waypoints to navigate to later.

With both of the above apps you cannot use them for multicaches because there's no way of manually entering coordinates. Both are useful though for the right circumstances.

Now for the cool one. It's called Free GPS. You can mark your current location as a waypoint (2 clicks instead of 1). You can manually enter coordinates for a multi or whatever. You can edit/adjust coordinates, which is great for fine-tuning geocache coordinates. You can name the waypoints, view them on a map, satellite or hybrid view, toggle a small destination compass superimposed in the corner of the map, switch to full compass view, show current speed in the corner of the map or compass, AND unlike the other two apps, the coordinates are shown in the WGS84 datum that gc.com uses which shows DD MM.MMM. I just tested it out on one set of coordinates, comparing the manually-entered coordinates on the app to Google maps on the computer; they showed the identical location.

Sweet!

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll check out Free GPS. I liked Waypoint for the interface (it seems very kid-friendly), but not being able to adjust coordinates once entered is kind of a PITA.

ArtguyBill
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

i'm gonna try that FREE GPS app. i have found the iphone quite good for general caching, but had not experimented with it further for multis. thanks for the info.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded Free GPS. Being able to update the coordinates is a definite plus, but I like the interface of Waypoint for a young group.

Todd300

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you have Android, C:GEO is capable of adding waypoints in multicaches.

WhiteEagle
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The only GPS unit I have is the Free GPS app for the iphone .. it's accuracy is 5 meters (16.4 ft) radius ... Is taht about as good as they get ?
I understand this phone if probably pretty limited in it's versatility if one can't get a strong signal but it's all I have right now....
Looking at maybe getting the Garmin E trex 30 Bundle .. Is that one easy to learn and any more accurate ?

Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You can get an Oregon for less than an Etrex30 and the Oregon is easier to learn on. We have both and only use the Etrex as a backup.

Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like Black Friday ads are being leaked. Look for an Oregon 450 to be on those. Already showing units for ~$150.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors.

Last edited by Walkingadventure on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total 
hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

WhiteEagle wrote:
The only GPS unit I have is the Free GPS app for the iphone .. it's accuracy is 5 meters (16.4 ft) radius ... Is taht about as good as they get ?
I understand this phone if probably pretty limited in it's versatility if one can't get a strong signal but it's all I have right now....
Looking at maybe getting the Garmin E trex 30 Bundle .. Is that one easy to learn and any more accurate ?

Hi WhiteEagle, I have an iPhone that I use for geocaching but also currently have 2 different models of Garmins that I use (an Oregon and a 62s).

In an open field the iPhone is pretty accurate and would be just about equal to any other GPS. However, I can tell you from experience with the 5 handheld GPS units I've owned over the years (plus 3 iPhones) that they are ALL more accurate than an iPhone when under tree cover and sometimes under heavy cloud cover. Still, for urban caching I often use the iPhone out of convenience. But if I'm caching in the woods the iPhone gets put away. The iPhone will still work in the woods, but the accuracy is diminished and the coordinates will jump around a bit more.

I'd like to echo the previous comment about the Oregon 450. When you can find it on sale it's the best value of all available GPS units in my humble opinion. The newer Etrex units are accurate too but the Oregon can often be had for the same price and it is a better unit and (for me) easier to use.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would also add that when using a cell phone for real urban caching (say downtown Chicago or Manhattan), your phone will be next to useless due to cover from the tall buildings. Even the Etrex's will struggle in this scenario, but the higher end Garmin's do ok.

View next topic
View previous topic