49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
July 2014 Northern Zone:
Call Box

Winner -
July 2014 Northeast Zone:
Twisted Metal

Winner -
July 2014 West Central Zone:
The Island

Winner -
July 2014 South Central Zone:
Puzzle of Books

Winner -
July 2014 Southeast Zone:
Make do with what you have

Winner -
July 2014 Series of the Month:
Door County Barn Quilt Series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lately, we have had a rash of caches published which really should not have been for a number of reasons. First, there have been numerous guidelines violations related to caches being buried, attached permanently to buildings and trees, defacement, etc., which makes us look bad to the land managers we work with. In some cases, this is being done by new hiders who don't know the rules. In other cases, it is being done by experienced hiders who are flaunting the fact that we don't have the ability to physically visit each hide. Second, there has been a significant increase in caches being published which are nowhere near the coordinates that were reported. This is caused by smartphone cachers not taking enough time, people not understanding the difference between decimal degrees and decimal minutes, and just plain old typos.

The point is that we need to do a better job of screening the incoming caches somehow. We are considering trying something that is currently done in some other review areas, where hiders are expected to use a reviewer note to provide us with information about what the hide is and where it is hidden. For example, you could simply add a sentence saying "The cache is a pill bottle in a pine tree in Jones Park, and Jonesville Parks have no geocaching policy." or "I hid a film can in a lamp post in the walmart parking lot and have permission from the store manager." We are not looking for a novel here; just a note telling us what we need to know. This will especially help when the "parking lot cache" show up on the map at a local park, 2 miles away. Of course, if you choose to include this information in the cache description, the review note would not be necessary.

We are considering starting this requirements next Monday. Please understand that you can add this information on the cache submission form in the area marked "note for reviewer". And, if you receive a form letter requesting said information, it is not a reflection on you personally. We will be requesting the info from virtually everyone.

Thanks,

Dave

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the update Dave.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great addition and much needed. Last weekend we found a hide in a large urban cemetery. It consisted of three trees that had large eyescrews attached to them and a cache hanging by a rope. What bothered me the most though was how many gave it favorites and praised the creativity.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the work you do! I notice a new hider put a hide description in the text on the cache page, stating where their first hide was. When I checked GoogleEarth map, it looked to be about 100 feet off. It's getting easier to spot Smartphone hides!

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Dave and Becky for all the work you put into reviewing! And thanks for the update Dave, I hope that this will help with the process.

I really wish that Groundspeak would advise people not to hide with their smartphones. I think I have noticed this once or twice in the weekly emails that they send out in the 3 1/2 years that I've been caching. If you happen to start caching after those weekly bulletins came out then you may not see this advise for a long time and have placed in the meantime. I know that I was guilty of hiding with the smartphone and then having bad coordinates on my first hide. I just didn't know any better.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know I've had much better luck using Google / Bing map for coords than my smartphone. Besides this makes it easier for some cachers to locate it.

On a more serious note - I agree 100% with the reviewer note requirement. This should help with some of the questionable placements I've seen recently also.

kc9gbo
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good to hear! Now if you can persuade one time Charlies to not hide caches we probably would celebrate.
One question, what is permently attached to trees meant as.? Seems kind of grey to me and since I've seen birdhouse structures all over attached to trees I have to wonder what the line is so I don't cross it if I were to hide one.
Thanks!

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

kc9gbo wrote:
Good to hear! Now if you can persuade one time Charlies to not hide caches we probably would celebrate.
One question, what is permently attached to trees meant as.? Seems kind of grey to me and since I've seen birdhouse structures all over attached to trees I have to wonder what the line is so I don't cross it if I were to hide one.
Thanks!

Yea, I'm confused by that too. I've seen many things permanently attached. I didn't realize this was a rule! But I can understand how an international company would make a rule like this. In Wisconsin our trees are hearty and plentiful but in other parts of the US, and I assume the world, this isn't the case. My parents will often comment about how some of the stuff they see here in WI wouldn't fly in CO because of the dry environment and lack of trees.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Permanently attached = Drilled into the tree beyond the very outer layer of bark.

Therefore, a fire tack or other push pin is ok.

A nail or screw not.

Team Deejay
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
Permanently attached = Drilled into the tree beyond the very outer layer of bark.

Therefore, a fire tack or other push pin is ok.

A nail or screw not.

Wow! That is actually a very good answer. Another way of looking at it is, if I am standing there with a ranger who is demanding that the cache be removed, and I remove it, there should be no signs that it was ever there. The tiny hole made with a tack will heal almost instantly. I think we have all seen cases where people have drilled out trees, used screws and bolts to attach caches to trees, etc. This is considered defacement. A little while ago, someone drilled a 2" diameter hole into the support beam of a sign for a business. Unfortuntately, the FTF of the cache was owner of the business, who was not amused. That one almost ended up in court.

kc9gbo
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, got you. That's what my thought was also but wanted to verify I was right.
In the last week I've found caches that left me shaking my head at what people have done to make a hide and now with this in place this won't happen.

Hardinfam
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I know when we first started, we got complaints about the coords on our hides. We did use google maps to pin point the location. New hiders have to be smart if they use smart phones to obtain coords. They have to remember the rule of 32 and so do finders.

View next topic
View previous topic