49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

After I don't know how many years, we finally completed the original Minnesota DeLorme a few weeks ago. While we aren't in a league with folks like zuma or honeybunnies here, we have noticed that unlike when we were first pursuing this one and the Wisconsin one, people don't seem to have so much interest in them now. Which is sad.

We figure gas costs surely play in for some people, but others seem to be able to continue to hit the road all the time. It's one of the few challenges out there that really can't be fudged...you simply have to go out and see the landscape, one page at a time. We've enjoyed doing the Wisconsin versions, the first one, then a few years later, the new one, and now Minnesota. We likely won't do any more. But we still hold these in really high regard among the things we've done in OMG! almost seven years of looking for stuff in the woods.

Has the abundance of other challenges out there (including the ones we've placed) just caused these to lose favor?

Averith
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

We continue to work on both of the Wisconsin Delorme challenge's as well as the county challenge, but with the high price of gas and the lack of full time employment we can't really afford to get the last remaining places way up north. We hope that will change at some point, because we really do want to complete the challenges.

Bushwhacking Unnecessarily Since 2006!! 
Mister Greenthumb
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With over 350 active hides I can tell from the logs we receive that "it's all about the numbers". The pngs get found much more often. Our GC2VTK8 is 2 years old and has only been found 13 times in 2 years. It requires you to find a cache on the IAT in half of the counties that the trail passes through.
After 6000+ finds we are getting a little bored. Not with caching, but with the hides. Even though the bike trail caches are a little monotonous we really like them. The last three weekends were spent on bike trails. We are working on a couple of your challenges Gwyn. The classics one and the oddities. We hope to qualify for both by the end of the year. The funny thing is that I have no idea where the finals are hidden and haven't even thought about going to get them. We'll be camping at Governor Dodge at the end of this month and have looked at a couple of KFH challenges that we have a dent in. Our hiding philosophy has changed too. Since our pngs get found more than our nice hikes - no more pngs unless there is a specific purpose. We'll be hiding more puzzles and more hikes. I have a bird themed one in my head that will be a must for you. Hope to hide it this fall on the IAT.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, the cost of gas really puts a damper on things. I do drive a lot but I usually have an additional reason to be going when I get out of our immediate area. Plus, I guess I'm more interested in a challenge that means more than just visiting an area just to put a smiley in it. I did that Half-Trail challenge because I got to visit different parts of the IAT but I have a feeling if I were doing the Delorme Challenge I'd just be looking for PNG's to quickly grab one on that page and then move on. That's why I'm currently working on your state parks challenge, and very much enjoying it!

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The DeLorme Challenge has never really interested us. It is based on a commercial atlas that can change at any time, and it has. While there is now a way we can track our progress on the newer WI challenge, we'll have to drag out our tattered version that is needed for the original DeLorme and check it out page by page, if we want to do that.

We like going for the counties better because counties are more definitive units than pages in a map book. Each county has its own distinct character, and when we "claim" a county, we have a good idea of what there is to see and do there.

Yes, the cost of gas is a factor, but caching and traveling around the state is how we spend our leisure dollars, and we plan for it. We hit caches in other states when we travel, but we won't go for any challenges in any of them that require multiple trips. Wisconsin's where it's at for us! Very Happy

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

sandlanders wrote:
we'll have to drag out our tattered version that is needed for the original DeLorme and check it out page by page, if we want to do that.

And this is why as the owner of the original I'm struggling with keeping it going. I don't know how to write code to do like they did with version 2 on the mygeocachingprofile.com. I'm starting to think that it might just become a tribute cache, or a additional cache that you can log once you get part two done as you've hit the same area's in the state. Or ultimately less headache, just archive.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote Back to top

I say keep it going, Splash. Just tell people that they will have to keep track on their own and submit a bookmark. Or at least see how many people are still working on this before changing or archiving it. It may not be that important to us as a team, but it is to a lot of people.

Now, if it's too much of a headache for you as the CO to verify everyone's finds, then it becomes like any other cache. If it has become work and is no longer enjoyable for you to have out there, do what you want with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not all that much into challenges period. I'm not going out of my way to find a cache 200 miles away in order to claim a find of a cache near me.

I prefer to just cache where ever my GPS takes me. I'm more of the spontaneous type.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Splash, For the Minnesota original, we had to keep track with our atlas and submit the bookmark. It's certainly easier to have the cool map generated, but doing it that way hones a person's ability to read a map....which can be very handy when the autorouter fails.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

We're slowly working on the Delorme challenge, and show our progress on our GC profile page (we have all of the challenges we're working on shown on that page). We love challenges! Having said that, we are more focused on the Badger State Challenge GC15WT3 (find a cache in all 72 WI counties) rather than the Delorme, which has arbitrary borders, but we're working on both. We only have 6 of the 72 counties remaining, and plan to grab the three we need from NW WI this summer. I imagine that after we complete the Badger State Challenge, the Delorme challenge will take on a greater significance.

My guess is that one of the factors in the "diminished" interest in the Delorme Challenge is that there are so many other challenges out there. Plus as others have mentioned, park & grabs etc. also compete for one's time and resources these days. Sounds like a good topic for the WGA newsletter and geocaching continuing education seminars...
Exclamation

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hack1of2 wrote:
We're slowly working on the Delorme challenge, and show our progress on our GC profile page (we have all of the challenges we're working on shown on that page). We love challenges! Having said that, we are more focused on the Badger State Challenge GC15WT3 (find a cache in all 72 WI counties) rather than the Delorme, which has arbitrary borders, but we're working on both. We only have 6 of the 72 counties remaining, and plan to grab the three we need from NW WI this summer. I imagine that after we complete the Badger State Challenge, the Delorme challenge will take on a greater significance.

My guess is that one of the factors in the "diminished" interest in the Delorme Challenge is that there are so many other challenges out there. Plus as others have mentioned, park & grabs etc. also compete for one's time and resources these days. Sounds like a good topic for the WGA newsletter and geocaching continuing education seminars...
Exclamation

I'm pretty sure that you just volunteered to write an article for the next newsletter about challenges. Thanks Hack1of2, I appreciate it and look forward to reading it! Laughing

Curly Girls
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I loved the first DeLorme Challenge! I worked on it along with the County Challenge. I painstakingly charted my endeavors on a map. What a great way to get out and explore!

It was not until I completed that first DeLorme that I started working on Part Deux. I keep track on my map book with a date and what cache I found just in case I need to find my proof that I completed a page.

Maybe it is the number of challenges that has turned people to working on other achievements. I loved this challenge and look forward to completing the other one.

I hope this one lives on!!

Lacknothing
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I absolutely loved both DeLorme Challenges. I like the challenges that take more time to complete. There is nothing more fun than planning and plotting a trip. I have discovered that I am a gazatteer junkie. I love maps! I love looking at them and determining which cache will satisfy a page. I use a sharpie on the back cover and sharpie in the completed pages so I can see at a glance what I needed to still complete. I am working on DeLorme challenges in neighboring states and having a blast. It will take years, but that's the fun in challenges like this. You can't just do them. You have to be intentional which is probably why they don't see as much action. I am actually working on a challenge currently (2 1/2 years now) hidden by a certain geocaching pair who started this topic....Cheesy? Heck yes! I'll get it eventually and have a blast along the way!

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lacknothing wrote:
I absolutely loved both DeLorme Challenges. I like the challenges that take more time to complete. There is nothing more fun than planning and plotting a trip. I have discovered that I am a gazatteer junkie. I love maps! I love looking at them and determining which cache will satisfy a page. I use a sharpie on the back cover and sharpie in the completed pages so I can see at a glance what I needed to still complete. I am working on DeLorme challenges in neighboring states and having a blast. It will take years, but that's the fun in challenges like this. You can't just do them. You have to be intentional which is probably why they don't see as much action. I am actually working on a challenge currently (2 1/2 years now) hidden by a certain geocaching pair who started this topic....Cheesy? Heck yes! I'll get it eventually and have a blast along the way!

Bassanio
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I just don't cache enough. If I set out to tackle a sizable challenge, it would probably be a decade before I'd get close to finishing. Besides not knowing if I could keep up the enthusiasm long enough...the cache itself would probably be archived by the time I qualified for it. Normally, I believe in qualifying for a challenge cache before finding it, so I probably wouldn't find the cache first and then fill in my grid.

A lot of the challenges I've seen, like the ones linked to in this thread, are very appealing to me and how I'd like to cache. But, I also look at them like my Netflix queue. I'll add a movie to my queue because I want to see it (eventually) and two years later, it hasn't made it to the top yet. The initial excitement of a challenge, for me, is going to wear off. Am I still going to be trying to finish a DeLorme challenge years from now? I can't say that I would be.

View next topic
View previous topic