49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed that the WGA Newsletter was being commented on in the Useless Drivel Thread. WRONG THREAD!!

The Newsletter is discussed in the closed Board of Directors area. We decide when to send out Newsletters and when to post articles on the Home Page of the WGA Forums.

Here are some stats from the last Newsletter that was sent out:

1409 sent
182 opens (someone read it)
182 clicks (100% of the people that opened and read the newsletter clicked on at least one of the links.)
3 unsubscribes (reason: no longer interested)
2 complaints (reported as spam)
89 bounces (incorrect addresses, etc.) These have been cleaned from the list.

In percentages:
Opens 13.7% - Industry Average 23.7%
Clicks 13.7% - Industry Average 3.9%
Unsubs .2% - Industry Average .4%
Complaints .2% - Industry Average .1%

I am providing this information to let the Membership know that Team Black Cat monitors the response on the Newsletter and reports back to the BODs on the amount of interest that is shown.

Feel free to comment here, or add input/ideas to help US keep YOU informed!

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, cool stats!

The following are the newsletter comments from the drivel thread:
hack1of2 wrote:
Todd300 wrote:
I didn't want to start a thread but wanted to comment on this from the Candidates Corner...

hack1of2 wrote:
I was hesitant to present this topic in the Candidates Corner Forum because it restricts who can answer to only those currently running for the BOD positions, but one has to start somewhere.

Why doesn't the WGA have a newsletter anymore, and what are your thoughts of having one once again? It's been I think almost a year since last receiving one. I would guess that most of the WGA membership does not frequent the WGA website, and therefore miss out on WGA news and opportunities. I haven't noticed anyone, including current and the prospective BOD members, address this issue in quite some time. If it wasn't for receiving the WGA newsletter early in my caching career, I don't think I would have had much awareness of the WGA and its activities and goals.

I admit that when we did have the e-mail newsletter, I did not subscribe to it so I did not notice it was stopped. Also, I admit not reading any news on the WGA main page though I did read Jim's latest post on the main page and only because of a Facebook post promoting it.

If a newsletter is considered again, keep in mind there might be others that are like me who basically ignore the newsletter too. Is the effort worth it?

Hell, I don't even read Groundspeak's newsletter except to check for upcoming events and new caches.

JMHO.

I'm guessing there's several hundred members of the WGA, but maybe only 40 or so that actually frequent the WGA website and post messages. (?) How many of those nominal members might have their minds open to new possibilities, an expanded awareness of the whole state rather than their relatively small corner of the state, an appreciation of the WGA organization, if 2 or 4 times/year (or whatever frequency) they received some communication from the WGA regarding events, tips, stories, tutorials, etc. If it is published only 2-4 times/year, it can't adequately address time-sensitive events as much because the events would potentially have happened before it was sent, but the other items I just mentioned would be a bit less time-sensitive.

I think recently a number of people have been brought into a greater WGA-awareness thanks to FaceBook (Yay Chris), but as social media only reaches a portion of the WGA membership, the newsletter, it seems to me, is the one vehicle that can reach every member. Of course, they may not read it, but just the act of receiving it will hopefully affect some measure of awareness, (cue the inspirational music...) and maybe, just maybe, they'll eventually read a newsletter and take that next step toward greater involvement. And for those who used to be active in the WGA but have refocused their attention elsewhere, who knows, all it may take is a communication from the WGA to rekindle an interest in an organization that either they lost interest in or thought that the organization lost interest in them.

Some potential topics: Events, tech tips, tutorials, outdoors tips, equipment tips and reviews, photos of unique cache containers, photos of cache experiences, member stories, quotes from member's logs, GPS news, Groundspeak news, Wisconsin geocaching news, geocaching challenges, member profile, surveys, cache of the month, LCG info, feedback from members section, president's message, relavent cartoons, editorials, milestones, soundbites (one-sentence zingers), advice column ("ask the board"), historical insights, puzzle solving tip of the month, etc. We're missing out on so great an opportunity! I wish I had time to help put one together but I'm pretty booked already.

Just my thoughts. Smile

P.S. - Should this be moved to a new thread?

Fireman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very neat stats, really shows that those who read the newsletter did use it

Follow my SCUBA Adventures
http://www.facebook.com/AdamsDivingAdventures 
WStemple
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I cannot honestly say that I remember receiving a newsletter. I probably did and if so I would have opened it and at least scanned the content.

Todd300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote Back to top

Chances are, newsletter end up in the junk folder. It did on mine when I first subscribed to it.

bartrod
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

WStemple wrote:
I cannot honestly say that I remember receiving a newsletter. I probably did and if so I would have opened it and at least scanned the content.

I don't ever remember receiving one either although I remember someone asking me for my profile information for inclusion in it a couple of years ago. Did I miss out on my 15 seconds of fame???

WStemple
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Fame is fleeting at best. Since I own and control my own domain, I would know if and what ends up caught in my filters. I would like to see an example of a newsletter though.

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK. I sent one. Did you get it?

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This would perhaps ruffle a few feathers, but I would advocate initially sending a newsletter to all members (probably 1,000+ members) who have not unsubscribed, rather than only to those who have intentionally subscribed. That may be what we did last time, I don't know.

I recognize that a newsletter may not ever be sent out again - it's a lot of work, and based on the numbers above there were a lot of people that didn't read it. But it sounds like some weren't even aware of it. If newsletters are indeed sent out, here's what I think can help make it a newsletter that rocks:

- Make it something that is entertaining and of value to the reader (those are two separate things). What benefit is in it for them to read it?
- Make it an engaging (interactive) newsletter, with fun content and links to interact with, or topics with links to reply to. Offering some type of challenge can be fun, and generate buzz among the membership.
- Offer free stuff if people reply (such as a PDF on geocaching tips, or scanned docs of log sheets, a tutorial on whatever, etc.). People respond to free stuff offers (even if it's already buried somewhere in the WGA site).
- Pictures, puzzles, quiz contests, graphics, riddles, quotes, and jokes can be fun.
- Offer not only news, but relevant educational topics (tips, tutorials)
- Give the readers numerous opportunities to interact/respond ("click here to submit pictures of ___," "click here to submit a story about ___," etc.).

Essentially it boils down to providing content that people will want to read, or at least skim through. If the content is entertaining and useful, hopefully it will generate buzz and increased awareness of or involvement in the WGA.

If we don't offer a newsletter as an organization, I'm at peace with that, but thought I'd put this on the table. It might be tough to produce consistent, effective newsletters, and finding a superman or superwoman to produce them is no easy task as well.

Thanks for listening; I think I'm done on the subject!

This message is interactive - here's a link to click on. See? Isn't that enticing? Cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGSPj4CyOMQ

JimandLinda
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The stats show that 1409 Newsletters were sent out. I guess that's 1000+.

Some of the other Associations I belong to have Newsletters, Publications, Conventions, etc. They also have membership fees, advertising rates, and paid editors with staff.

If you can find a member that will put in 40 hours/week for free to work on a monthly Newsletter, please send their name to the BODs.

This is a serious request.

sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hack 1 of 2,

I know that we can not send the newsletter to everyone, something to do with the SPAM act. there are large fines. I remember Black Cat talking about it. Maybe he can chime in with more info about it.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not a 40 hour per week job. Maybe an hour for one spit shined article if you have perpetual moderate writers' block like I do.
I have written every article for several newsletters and zuma has written every article for a couple more. Our membership committee was tasked with creating content for the newsletter back in April, 2011 and that resulted in one newsletter. I wrote 5 of the 8 articles. The workload needs to be spread out a little.
I'm glad that there is so much interest in this and so many great ideas, but someone needs to create the content.
Most articles can and should be posted on the front page of this website. An excerpt can be put in the newsletter with a link to the full article. WA can post a link on FB. Everyone that is at all interested will be able to see it.
I would love to see new content on the front page weekly. Even if it's just a really cool caching picture with a few sentences describing it. Email or PM me or any other board member. If it's original, interesting and geocaching in Wisconsin related, we'll probably put it up. It would most likely end up in the newsletter also.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TBC, if you and others can take care of the techno end of things, and the BOD or whoever can give me subject material and background info, I'll write whatever you want whenver you want it.

BTW, would the FTP standings updates be newsworthy? wink

WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be glad to copy and paste the articles to whatever social media sites you all would like. I'm extremely helpful like that.

wink

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've been kicking around an idea for highlighting areas for caching in the state but haven't sat down to get started on it yet this month. When I get it going, I'll be glad to share it.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 

View next topic
View previous topic