49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Candidates,
According to your Candidates Corner threads, many of you are involved as volunteers in one or more other organizations. In addition, you most likely have several other demands on your time. There are bound to be conflicts. How do you plan to resolve any conflicts with your obligations to the WGA?

WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My schedule is incredibly flexible surprisingly. I've already secured days off for all the events through the 2013 West Bend Cache Ba$h. And finding time for any extra things needed should not be a problem for me. I feel confident that I can put the WGA at a top priority. I don't take my nomination for the board lightly, and I decided before agreeing to run that I would not put the WGA on the back burner.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This certainly is a legitimate question. I know that I had to miss the campout two years ago at the last minute because of a sick child. If the same situation came up again I'd still stay home with the sick child and have to miss the event as my family is my top priority. But I have made it to most of the WGA events since I started caching, not all. If I were elected I would try my hardest to be at the event (already have the chili event, LCG event and the campout on my calendar!) but if there was a scheduling conflict I'd try and help out as much as I could behind the scenes. There's always work that has to be done beforehand that I could do and send the items along with someone else. Fortunately I live in an area where there are many active cachers. It is very helpful that the WGA sets dates for events way into the future which makes planning easier. Now I just hope that the WGA gives me a reason to wear my blue hair at an event again. Wink

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
sweetlife
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Over the last two years, we have made all the WGA events including the spring CITO's.

Usually the other organizations that I am a part of do not take any of my weekends. also my work schedule is very flexible and in the summers usually have Fridays off for long weekends all summer.

I volunteer as a ambulance driver 3 nights a week and The fire dept is 24/7 when I am in the area, but as long as the other officers know when I am leaving, it is not a problem to leave at a moments notice.

Not having any children also makes our lives more flexible also.

In 2011 we attended 10 different events, from Cornell to Racine, and in 2012 we attended 20 different events from Hayward to Dodgeville.

Looking for a pathtag idea check out Freak Designs 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Walkingadventure
WGA President
WGA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks TBC for this question.

For several years I was heavily involved with my church's Your Group as a volunteer leader but after 10 years have slowly stepped away from it.

This past year I had offered last minute assistance to the Fall Picnic and my daughter was playing a soccer game the same day. I balanced that this year by driving down to the game separately from my family and after the game I stopped by the Fall Picnic to see if I could help.

I have always put whatever organization I was volunteering for 1st behind family and have always balanced it well. With a schedule laid out in advance for WGA activities, I'll be planning my weekends around them and making sure I'm there to offer support.

The posts and opinions shared here are solely that of the individual and do not reflect the beliefs of the WGA Board of Directors. 
CacheNoTrace
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the question Brian. Yes, volunteering is an important part of my life. Currently I hold 2 very important volunteer positions that I carry out. The first one is Wisconsin State Advocate for Leave No Trace, and the second volunteer position is Council Outdoor Ethics Advocate for Samoset Council, Boy Scouts of America. On paper, it may look like alot however, both positions mirror each other and compliments each other as well.

If elected, being a volunteer on the BOD would not be a distraction from my current roles. On contrary, it will help my volunteer roles that I currently have. My major responsibility as Wisconsin State Advocate is educating people on outdoor ethics. One of my main goals if elected as BOD would be to promote outdoor ethics via Leave No Trace. I personally feel this would be a great pairing and would help me further be better in all my volunteer roles.

TJSAAVEDRA
WGA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am a shift worker, every week is a differnt shift. I have most weekends and holidays off. I am involved with our church to a degree where I sereve on the Worship Arts Tech Team, where I serve as either a Producer, Sound Tech, or Visual Tech. for Sunday morning services. I am usaully the Producer on the second Sunday every month, and have been luckey enough to get trades for the Cache Ba$h, and vacations. I also sub for others when needed and serve during special events, or services at times. I would try to get to all events but sometime we need to compromise like at the at the Gov Dodge WGA Camp Out, I worked the 3rd shift Friday drove down to CITO, Meet and Greet and eat some pig, help map out trails while cgeocaching, and then cache my way home to serve at church Sunday morning. There will always be something sometime where family would have to come first as well. Weddings, funerals and such. Thanks for asking Brian.

lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

The BOD wouldn't affect my current roles, as my weekends are fairly clear. As far as future possibilities, I would schedule around BOD responsibilities if I were elected.
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the BOD discussion is handled online. This isn't normally a problem, except for this week when my electronics decided that they wanted a break.

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
lone_gunman
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

Spoke too soon. Looks like I'll miss 2 of the events because of current roles. The LCG event because I'll be prepping for a convention coming up in April and the spring campout because of Puppets. Not much I can do about the LCG event, but the campout, I can help get anything ready beforehand.

What\'s life? Life\'s easy. A quirk of matter. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh 
CommanderUSN
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone sets priorities whether they know it or not. My first priority is my family...then my God and the responsibilities I have with my faith. I believe that being a member of a team requires you to respect the other members as well who are counting on you so any team I belong to that rely on me or my actions are high on my list as well. Friends are VERY important as well but if elected as a BOD, their priority would be right below the board. Finally, you have to take care of yourself.

The Commander

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sdallesasse
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While some of my work days and weeks can be long; the majority of my days and weeks are of a normally expected length. Most of my weekends are free with the exceptional few for special family occasions. If elected, I'll have to cut back on caching a little of course.

WGA Treasurer
WGA Treasurer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My best answer here is .. I get other people involved! I surround myself with people who will chip in and together we get the work done.

For example, the past 3 weeks have been rather intense with the planning of the 9th Waukesha Winter Janboree Geocaching. I recruited awesome cache hiders who I worked with to find places, get permissions while they came up with their creative containers. I recruited awesome assistants on the day of the event knowing my attention would be on the Geo101 class in the morning so a I needed a crack team to sign people in, swap travel bugs, offer coordinate downloads and answer questions. I also needed hands to help new geocachers from the Geo101 class.

I have managed to keep up with my posts here in the Candidates forum during all that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

View next topic
View previous topic