49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
June 2014 Northern Zone:
Forbidden Fruit

Winner -
June 2014 Northeast Zone:
Wildlife & Travel Bug Sanctuary

Winner -
June 2014 West Central Zone:
Pirates of the Roche-a-Cri

Winner -
June 2014 South Central Zone:
The Big "K"

Winner -
June 2014 Southeast Zone:
Whoomp! There It Is

Winner -
June 2014 Series of the Month:

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Error3
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is there one or does any agree with me that it would be cool to start an initiative to get people to release trackables from their cache if it is no longer in the cache.

I mean some of the caches read having trackables in them from like years ago. That's kinda messed up.

Is there any thing we can do about this?

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I generally agree; it can get annoying. Here's what one can do:

1. In your found it log, you can state that it's missing. For responsible CO's that's all you need to do.
2. You can email the cache owner directly.
3. You can post a "needs maintenance" log regarding missing trackables - I'd only do that one if it's been missing for a long time with no response from the CO.
4. If all else fails, you can email the trackable owner to let them know and they can mark it as missing from their end.

I've done 1, 2, & 3. Not sure if I've ever done #4.

Sloughfoot
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think trackables are the responsibility of the CO. We didn't place them there. If the owner of the trackable doesn't keep track of their stuff and do the required maintence of their property not our problem. We already have enough to do checking a cache when someone can't find it and posts a needs maintence log when the last two cachers found it. If I got a needs maintence for a trackable I might be really irritated.

sandlanders
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with sloughfoot, although I have marked a trackable as missing in one of our caches... after a long time. Trackables are the responsibility of their owners, so I would contact the trackable owner first before saying anything to the CO. I would certainly not use a NM log for that.

I have also gone on to the trackable's page to write a note that as of such a date, I did not see the trackable in the cache. The trackable owner will get that notification that way if you don't want to sent an email directly.

But again, not my responsibility as a cacher or as a cache owner to keep track of trackables for their owners.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to send trackables out then it's your responsibility to keep an eye on them just like it's the responsibility of a cache hider to maintain their cache. I have no sympathy for anyone who whines or complains about caches in any way or manner. There are 23,000+ caches in Wisconsin. Go find one that doesn't ruffle your feathers.

Trekkin and Birdin
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

When we first started caching, we, like many, thought the whole trackable thing was a big deal. They're still fun, but we quickly learned that there's no point in being disappointed when we visit a cache and the listed trackable isn't there. Like sandlanders, we'll contact the trackable owner if one in our cache is missing, and after ages, might mark it "missing." Maybe we did that once or twice after someone else got snippy with us about marking a trackable in our cache "missing." Caching for us isn't about trackables, but about the places we discover and the great outdoors. The trackables are just a fun add on. I know others are really into the whole trackable thing so I do understand, but.....it's unfortunately part of the game, just like DNFs.

Also, I believe there is a site dedicated to helping rescue missing bugs. I have heard comments that it's helpful. Maybe someone has that site info they can share.

Team Black-Cat
WGA Webmaster
WGA Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

The WGA Lonely Cache Game helps a little by giving points for mentioning missing trackables. I wonder if the Cache Rescue couldn't be utilized for trackables...
It still comes down to the trackable owner or cache owner to mark a tb as missing.

WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

You should know that there used to be a feature on gc.com, where when a cache was archived, any travellers in that cache were automatically marked as missing. The problem was that the site posted notes to the bug, in the name of the person archiving the cache, that the item was marked missing. Apparently certain individuals were offended by the site posting notes in their name (note that this would always be the cache owner or a reviewer). Rather than fix it, the site just chose to eliminate the feature.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, it is the responsibility of the bug owner. As a CO I've marked bugs missing before when people have let me knkow, or posted a note on the bug page, but I'm not going to go out and try and track down the bug.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
BigJim60
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've pretty much lost interest in trackables.

hack1of2
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

In many cases the trackable owner is no longer active, and if their TB has gone missing for a year but still shows as listed in your cache, it seems to be a courteous thing to do for the CO to then mark it as missing. Nobody else can do it except the CO (if the bug owner is inactive), and your cache is now accurately reporting the status of the cache contents as far as bugs go. Interesting, I seem to be in the minority on this one. Confused

labrat_wr
WGA Vice-President
WGA Vice-President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

just put out nanos and you never have to worry about trackables going missing from your caches.

All forum posts are the thoughts and opinions of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of the WGA Board of Directors 
WStemple
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I would not go out to check on a TB in my caches, except for my TB Hotel. That is because it is right in the middle of my front yard. From time to time, I will do a check of what is in there, but not that often.

Averith
WGA Board Member
WGA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

If someone tells me that a trackable is missing from one of my caches I'll mark it as missing. Also when I do maintenance on my caches I'll also check to see if what is listed in the cache is still there or not.

Bushwhacking Unnecessarily Since 2006!! 
Northwoods Tom
WGA Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Everyones situation is different. Leave it up to the trackable owner.

One of my trackables sat in a cache for over two years before someone grabbed it and got it moving. Never a mention of it by the cachers during that time. Another has been in the hands of an individual for almost two years. A third has been noted as missing but the cache is way up in a gnarly old tree. Is someone finally going to find it laying on the ground somewhere, is it still in a cache that's hard to peruse on a treacherous perch, or is it somewhere up in the tree (knot hole?) or someones pocket?

I reluctantly marked it as missing after this thread, although I'm still hopeful.

View next topic
View previous topic