49.png BOD Info Center

17.png Forums
16.png New Posts
20.png Unanswered Posts

calendar_day.png Upcoming Events
mapicon.png Map
29.png Calendar
11.png Submit Event

mapicon.png WGA State Park CachesNew content !

shield_star.png Cache of the Month
mapicon.png Past Winners Map

LonelyCache.png Lonely Cache Game
mapicon.png Current Map
26.png Scoreboard
11.png Submit Report

rescueiconsm.png Cache Rescue
11.png Submit a Mission

icon_community.gif Members
27.png Your Account
47.png Private Messages
contact_blue.png WGA Member Map
Geocaching_LIVE_poweredby_16.png GC.COM Authorization

icon_members.gif News
tree-T.gif Topics
tree-T.gif Archives
tree-L.gif Submit News

image_cultured.png Photo Gallery
tree-T.gif Updates
tree-L.gif Popular

shield.png Fun Stuff
28.png Recent Logs
TB.gif Picnic to Picnic TB Race Standings
TB.gif WGA Hauler

49.png Board of Directors

Contact Us

Facebook

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Follow Us

Twitter Button

Subscribe to Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Geocaching.com Search
View Search Syntax

COTM
Winner -
September 2014 Northern Zone:
Bunyan's Bowling Ball

Winner -
September 2014 Northeast Zone:
Gardner Swamp Thing

Winner -
September 2014 West Central Zone:
Upper Dells SNA

Winner -
September 2014 South Central Zone:
Old Meets New

Winner -
September 2014 Southeast Zone:

Winner -
September 2014 Series of the Month:
Meet the WGA series

More Info >>>

Wisconsin Geocaching Association: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

While munzee emphasizes the "score" in the game, that doesn't preclude it from taking you to interesting places, etc. You have a right to say it is for lazy people or is no fun I suppose. I have not tried it, but I could see it being fun for the kids who like to fiddle with their phones and who don't care any more about "what's in the box," and who also don't do the log writing for our team.

Regarding log writing....You know, it's kinda funny...a while back I had posted on a letterboxing forum about how it would be nice if the letterboxing sites had a better "public comment" feature. Well I just about got run out of town on a rail. The consensus was, who cares about the online experience because I really want to see their stamp in the log book.

Many different versions of what is essentially the same hide and seek game, for different constituencies. None inherently "better" than the other IMO.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you are recovered from the holidays because it is time to gear up for another Munzee DOUBLE DOUBLE POINT POINT WEEKEND WEEKEND!

Capturing and deploying munzees will be worth double the points starting January 13th (Friday) at 1:00PM CST until midnight CST on January 15th (Sunday). We are extending the weekend times so that international players don't get cut short.

Twisted Evil

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I saw that too, GR.... mmmm numbers! Smile

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

I meant that sarcastically btw.

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I get double points in geocaching too, I just log caches twice.

GetMeOutdoors
WGA Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, play however you want to Rolling Eyes

(I know you're joking.... right?) Laughing

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gonna bump this thread.

We were out caching last weekend and came across a munzee tag near a geocache. First off, the proximity wouldn't bother me as a cache owner, at all. There is no way you could mistake a munzee tag with a geocache unless you were an illiterate idiot...well... Shocked ... but I digress... Unless the tag is pasted ON a geocache (which the CO/munzee owner might actually want to do), I don't see it really being an issue.

So, I fired up the app on the ol' iPhone and scanned it. BIP! All done. You can write a log and rate the munzee if you want, but it's optional.

Then we pulled up the map and were amazed at how many were actually planted. Nowhere near the density of geocaches of course, but there are a LOT in the Green Bay area.

To address some of the points made previously in this thread:

-No online log required with munzees so it's for "lazy" players. Well, not really, but so what about the online log? I've said this before, but I think logging on geocaching.com should be OPTIONAL because. Yep, you read that right. Why? Because by forcing everybody to log SOMETHING, you get tons of craptastic, cookie-cutter, "enjoyed your cache" type logs. If you're not forced to log something, it tends to mean the logs you do get are ones from people who have something intelligent to say.

-No review process. So what? Letterboxing gets along just fine without it.

-Proximity/density. So what? Any proximity rule is arbitrary anyway. Again, letterboxing gets on fine without it. (There does appear to be a proximity rule for your owned munzees)

-No quality control/hidden on every street corner. Meh, this is a complete red herring. I looked at the map and there's a wide mix of placements from parks and trails to, yes, street signs, which I don't particularly care for. But it's not like geocaching is the standard bearer for quality placement any more and the majority of new cache placements are anything but inspiring.

-Litter. Another red herring. Someone's munzee goes delinquent, you're talking about a 2 inch tag somewhere. In contrast, geo-litter is almost always a container of some sort.

-It's all about the numbers. So what?

The biggest drawback to the game I see is the complete dependence on technology. Yes, your GPSr can fail, but if you manage to find the cache you can still log it. With munzee if your phone takes a holiday you can't log it. Also, as far as I can tell, placements are limited to "traditional" placements (at the posted coordinates).

In short, I think the munzee folks have some things right. It provides a lot of flexibility, placements are easy, most people already have the technology, and the impact is limited to 2 inch paper tags.

beccaday
WGA Secretary
WGA Secretary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

When I was caching in Hawaii it seemed that Munzee had just hit the scene there and was all the rage. CO's were putting their Munzee's inside of caches, kind of like a bonus find.

Disclaimer: This post and the contents of any links or images attached is the opinion of this poster and not that of the WGA or its Board of Directors. 
CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
-Litter. Another red herring. Someone's munzee goes delinquent, you're talking about a 2 inch tag somewhere. In contrast, geo-litter is almost always a container of some sort.

Munzee's can get disabled / archived automatically though. I believe it's 2 consecutive DNF's that gets it disabled and then if the owner doesn't confirm (or something like that) it gets archived after some amount of time. I may not be exactly right in the process, but I know there is an auto-disable / auto-archive procedure.

gotta run wrote:
Also, as far as I can tell, placements are limited to "traditional" placements (at the posted coordinates).

There are other types of Munzees also. I believe the most common is "Virtual" but you have to buy these from the site.

gotta run wrote:
In short, I think the munzee folks have some things right. It provides a lot of flexibility, placements are easy, most people already have the technology, and the impact is limited to 2 inch paper tags.

Tags are approximately 2" by default, but a savy person could enlarge these if they wanted. The other thing to remember are they placed / hunted via smartphone so the coords are only as good as the smartphone used for both of these.

I've found only a few and generally enjoyed the ones that provide a well defined hint. I've had 2 that I searched a 100' radius trying to find which was extremely frustrating. In the woods with a hint that they were "in a tree".

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot about the virtuals. But it doesn't appear it's possible to do a puzzle or a mutli.

CodeJunkie
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gotta run wrote:
I forgot about the virtuals.

Interesting concept for virtuals though as you must be within 300' of the coordinates in order to capture the munzee. That would minimize armchair logging.

gotta run wrote:
But it doesn't appear it's possible to do a puzzle or a mutli.

Ummm. See your prior comment
gotta run wrote:
-It's all about the numbers.

wink Rolling Eyes

gotta run
WGA Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Wait...what? How can you do a puzzle because you still need to list the munzee at the location...You can't use a dummy location.

View next topic
View previous topic