|Cache of the Month Winner - February 2011 South Central Zone|
Comments on this choice:
- "Though this cache has in the past been nominated, it's deserving of the title. A wonderful hike across the open woodlands leads one into a valley, then a ravine, then to the edge...of the Sugar River! From there, you have the fun of mountain goating it down to the riverside and into a river's edge cave. In the springtime, the wildflower display on the way to the cache is amazing. The historical background of this location is fascinating. What's not to love?"
- "Well I did help the original owner place this cache so I do have a bit of a bias, but The real reason this cache deserves to win is the location is so unexpected. While walking the grassy trail toward the cache the area looks like many others. Once you enter the woods by the river there is still little hint of what lays ahead. Even at ground zero if not for the name of the cache you could be standing on the small cliff above the cache & not know the cave was there. When you finally do see the cave one has to wonder what kinda of man it takes to live in such a place. With such a history, Nice hike & cool location this is what I would call a perfect geocache."
- "It is such a cool remote place to visit. There is a lot of local history there."
- "This an incredibly neat cache. It has been a few years since I visited it (along with my family), and I remember it being pretty difficult to actually find or get to. But once we got there, it was, "Oh. Nifty. I don't think I've ever seen a cache location like that." Plus there's a nifty bit of history behind it. We learned something about the area that we wouldn't have noticed without this particular cache. We got to peek behind the curtain and see a bit of the invisible history of the place."
- "Reuben's Cave: I did this one several years ago and it still comes to mind frequently, as being one of my favorite caches to date! Although it probably needs maintenance, for me this cache is all about PLACE. Definitely worth the visit."
Return to complete list of previous Cache of the Month winners